Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Poetry appreciation

I think that I have been able to appreciate poems more. Before our class did some analyzing poems, I did not know what poems talk about usually. Furthermore, I have also learned the different methods that are commonly used by the poets to express their feelings like using sound words, words that rhymes, simile, metaphors... I have also learn the different types of poem. For example: Haiku, which has 5 syllabus in the first line, then 7 syllabus in the second, and lastly 5 syllabus again. Some of the poems are in a more serious style and have rhymes in the poem whereas some are free-verse. Personally, I prefer the serious style of writing as that is easier to read and understand. I like one of the poems that we go through on the daffodils very much as it really makes me visualize the scene of the poem. The poet describe the daffodils using similes like stars, milky way. Therefore, I think that we should discuss and analyze more poems in class together.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, I find that examining poetry takes away the fun of it. I liked to read poetry when I was younger and enjoyed it, but ever since I have learnt how to examine poetry, I do not find it as interesting as it was before. As said in the poem “After English Class” by Jean Little, “It’s (poetry) grown so complicated now”. But if you like poetry, well, then, each to his own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree very much with Nicholas. I think that poetry is more fun to read if you are just reading and not thinking why the poet wrote this or that. However, I think it's a good practice to analyse the poem after you have read it, so that you can understand more about it. If you read a poem only to examine it, there is no point in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. However, I feel a different way from you. I personally feel that, though the poetry lessons have helped me analyse and understand poems, they take away the sense of mystery which once made me enjoy and appreciate the poem. It just tells me that everything in the poem has 'hidden meanings', making everything more complicated. I would have very much preferred it to be as it was before.

    ReplyDelete